Cool facts about Silverlight penetration / market share
Dear visitor: Please keep in mind that this post is originally from Vibor Cipan's personal blog, the name of which we eventually adopted as our company name together with its conveniently-named URL. We're keeping the posts on our official company blog for all the subscribers to Vibor's blog who have read and commented on his previous posts. Please be aware that this post represents Vibor's personal thinking few years ago and doesn't necessarily represent the opinions of the UX Passion as a company today.
Recently there has been an interesting discussion about Silverlight penetration and market share. As always, people tend to connect Flash and Silverlight and use the market share as a single most important metrics – but here, I’m sharing some really cool, interesting and surprising (?) facts about Silverlight market share.
So, here are 8 cool facts about Silverlight penetration and market share for your enjoyment…
Did you know… about Silverlight?
Did you know more people have Silverlight installed than the US population own cars?
Did you know if you were to combine all of Apple’s product line sold to date, they still wouldn’t reach the number of Silverlight installs we have today?
Did you know it would take the US 2030 years to publish the same amount of new book tiles that Silverlight has installed?
Did you know it took Firefox 7 years to reach the total number of installs Silverlight has, and Silverlight did it in 9 months?
Did you know it took Flash 6 years to reach the total number of installs Silverlight has, and Silverlight did it in 9 months?
Did you know that in 4 million years from now, the same amount of Silverlight installs we have today will match the same amount of people who will die from choking on a ballpoint pen? (Okay, this one is a bit morbid, I guess)
It will take bloggers 1.4 years to generate the same amount of new blog posts to match Silverlight installs today.
If you combined MySpace + Facebook + Twitter subscribers you’d still be short on the total number of Silverlight installs that are in place today.
Silverlight penetration rate – updates
I’ve received several comments and e-mails stating that this particular post is appearing pretty high in search engine page results when people are looking for “silverlight penetration rate” and similar queries. Also, as you can see in comments, people were expecting to get more factual data, and not just “interesting and surprising facts about Silverlight market share”. You are encouraged to read those comments and post your own.
Having this in mind I am adding some more information regarding Silverlight penetration rate and market share.
1. There have been 300 million installs in about 4 months
2. Worldwide, over 1 in 4 computers (over 25%) has Silverlight installed.
3. Silverlight is not being distribued as an automatic update through Microsoft’s Update mechanisms – it is an optional update and it will never install unless you want it to be installed.
4. In some countries penetration rate is well over 50%, approaching about 60%. I don’t have more detailed data for specific countries.
5. I’ve posted an article about why Silverlight will do good even in this recession and crisis and some interesting case studies and quotes from independent analysts and consultancies related to Silverlight.
6. All data is from October 2008, momentum has continued and I will have some new data to publish in July right after Silverlight 3 will be released.